Welcome to the Schools’ Service of Middlesbrough
The Bishop's Pastoral letter, written at this deeply challenging time to all who work and support in His schools, can be found HERE
Links to resources to support schools and families can be found under Primary RE - 'Resources' (includes Secondary resources)
Welcome to the Diocese of Middlesbrough’s Schools Service.
The Diocese is home to 56 schools and academies providing Catholic education to just over 17,700 children and young people.
The Diocese covers the large historic geographical area of the ‘North Riding’, with schools and academies in the 7 Local Authority areas of Redcar & Cleveland, Middlesbrough, Stockton on Tees, North Yorkshire, York, East Riding and Hull.
Bishop Terence Patrick Drainey provides Catholic schools to help him as first educator of the Diocese in his mission of making Christ known to all people. The Bishop also provides Catholic schools to support parents who at their child’s baptism accepted the responsibility to raise their child in the Catholic faith. Finally the Bishop provides Catholic schools to be at a service to their local church, parish and Christian home and to ensure the children and young people who attend Catholic schools give such service to the wider society. It is the mission of all Diocesan schools to contribute to the creation of a society that is highly educated, skilled and cultured making a contribution to the common good of society and its culture.
Whilst we seek to ensure our children and young people develop spiritually, Diocesan schools must educate the whole child, ensuring all our children also achieve their full academic potential.
It is important then that at the end of 2016, 90% of Diocesan schools were judged by Ofsted to be providing Good or Outstanding education with the remaining 10% of schools judged by inspectors to require some further improvement already making rapid progress ready for further inspection in the very near future.
We can measure how well our Catholic schools perform in many ways but I know I have entered an excellent Catholic school from the sense of joy I feel as I walk around and hear the interaction and excitement between young people and their teachers. When the children and young people are proud to show you their books and eager to explain what they are learning. When they talk freely and openly of Jesus’s love for them and the values he asks them to live their own life by, tolerance, friendship, forgiveness. What really shines out in Diocesan schools is this sense of joy and hope for the future we give our children and young people. Hope based on the fact Jesus loves them and he will be by their side throughout their life, in good times and bad. It is the same for adults who work in and support our schools. The joy of being part of a Catholic school is to share the good news of God’s love for us.
I hope you find the information provided both informative and interesting and thank you for your interest in Catholic education in the Diocese of Middlesbrough.
Diocesan Schools Commisioner